Family Dentist in Olathe Offers Care For All Ages
June 21, 2021
Finding a family dentist can be a challenge. You need someone who can take care of people of all ages, from the baby with her first tooth to Grandma, who might need dentures. Everyone wants a dentist they can feel comfortable with, who is willing to answer any questions you might have. At Olathe Dental Care Center, we pride ourselves on our caring, professional team. Our group of family dentists and hygienists provide top-notch care while the folks in our office help with appointments, insurance, and billing inquiries.
One of the questions often asked of a family dentist is “How can I get my kids to brush their teeth?” We all know that proper tooth brushing is a vital part of taking care of our overall health. But sometimes kids don’t want to do it. Here are some suggestions to make sure your little ones are keeping those teeth clean and healthy.
- Start early. According to the American Dental Association (ADA), you should begin brushing your baby’s teeth as soon as they erupt. Make sure you use a toothbrush that is designed for children. For children under three years, use a smear of fluoride containing toothpaste about the size of a grain of rice. Children 3 to 6 years need about a pea-sized amount. Brush gently twice a day.
- Make it fun! Tooth brushing should last for about two minutes. That can seem like a LONG time to a little one. One way to make the time go by is to find a song that they really like and play it while they are brushing. You can even do a little tooth brushing dance to liven things up! There are a number of tooth brushing songs/videos on the internet that will show your kids how to brush and give them a song to enjoy while they do so.
- Model good dental hygiene. If your children see you brushing, flossing and visiting the dentist regularly, they will understand that it is an important part of caring for their own health.
- Make it part of your daily routine. Kids like predictability. If they know that brushing their teeth happens at the same time every day, like after breakfast and before bed, they are less likely to fuss about it.
- Find a toothpaste that they like. There are a lot of fun flavors and colors to choose from. Just make sure you’re using fluoride toothpaste. Fluoride is vital in preventing tooth decay. If you have a child who doesn’t like strong flavors, unflavored toothpaste is also available.
- Let them choose their own toothbrush. There are so many styles and colors to choose from, in both electric and manual toothbrushes. Your child can have his or her favorite superhero or cartoon character, making the brushing experience even more fun!
If you are concerned about your child’s teeth or have any other questions, call Olathe Dental Care Center at 913-782-1420. You can make an appointment with a family dentist for your annual checkup, schedule a cleaning, or get answers to your insurance and billing questions. You can find out more about our dentists and our practice here. We are celebrating 60 years of taking care of family smiles in Olathe, and look forward to being your family dentist!