Family Dentistry For Healthy Beautiful Smiles
December 2, 2021
As a family dentistry practice, the team at Olathe Dental Care Center knows how to take care of smiles of all ages. If you’re looking for a one-stop location to manage your entire family’s dental health, we can help! We have a top-notch team of dentists and hygienists who work with patients of all ages. This year we are celebrating over sixty years of healthy smiles!
One question that our family dentistry team is asked often is “How do I choose the right toothbrush?” We all know that good dental health begins with proper oral hygiene, right from the start. Choosing a toothbrush is an important factor in making sure your teeth, gums and mouth stay healthy. The American Dental Association (ADA) provides guidance in choosing a toothbrush:
- Either manual or powered toothbrushes can be used effectively. A powered toothbrush may be preferable for those having dexterity issues, such as the elderly or small children. Powered toothbrushes may also be helpful for people with braces or dental appliances.
- Soft bristles are preferred, as they provide the recommended level of cleaning without damaging delicate gum tissues.
- A toothbrush with multi-level or angled bristles will clean better than one where the bristles are flat-trimmed.
- With powered toothbrushes, there are multiple types of head movements that can be effective: side-to-side, counter oscillation, rotation oscillation, circular, ultrasonic.
- Look for the ADA Seal of Acceptance when choosing a toothbrush. Products that carry the seal have been reviewed by the ADA Council on Scientific Affairs and have been shown to be safe and effective.
The most important thing to remember is that no toothbrush is effective if it is not used regularly and correctly! At our family dentistry practice, our staff is available to answer any questions you may have regarding proper oral hygiene, getting your kids to brush their teeth regularly, and any other matter regarding your oral health.
Olathe Dental Care Center has been providing family dentistry services for more than half a century. If you would like to schedule a checkup, have questions about insurance and payment plans or need more information about any aspect of dental care, contact us at (913)782-1420 or visit our website. We look forward to helping you and your family maintain bright and healthy smiles!